Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day Fishing


With the snow storm that has blanketed Hampton Roads my school was closed today.  After I shoveled the driveway I went down to the lake in hopes of maybe catching a fish.
                                          

 I had a 1/4oz. Eco Pro tungsten jig with a PowerTeam Lures 4.5 Conviction Craw as a trailer.  The air temp was 24 degrees with a wind-chill of 18 degrees. The lake had a good bit of ice on it and there was only one open pier for me to fish from. It was so cold that my guides on my rod froze shut a couple of times and my reel spool also froze.  I pitched my jig under the pier and after a few hops my rod doubled over. 

                                             

The fish made a short run out from under the pier and it was game on. Once I could see the fish I realized that it was a nice catfish.  He made another run but this time it was under a different pier and under the ice.

                                                

  I felt him wrap me up around a piling and then felt the snap of my leader.  Even thought I lost the fish I was still surprised that I even hooked up.  Once this snow melts it is back out in the kayak for some more pickerel and bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment